Top 5 Players Selected #7 in the NFL Draft since 1980
5. Sterling Sharpe, WR, Green Bay Packers, 1988
4. Bryant Young, DT, San Francisco 49ers, 1994
3. Troy Vincent, DB, Miami Dolphins, 1992
2. Champ Bailey, DB, Washington Redskins, 1999
1. Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings, 2007
While most of the lists favor longevity, Peterson has been so dominant in his 6 seasons that it doesn't matter - he is the best #7 pick I have seen. What he accomplished in 2012, in so many ways, was truly remarkable. A couple of DB's follow, with the flashier Bailey and the consummate professional in Vincent. Bryant Young was a rock for the 49ers defense for many years, while Sharpe had arguably the best first 7 seasons at wide receiver this side of Randy Moss. A freak injury halted his ascension on this list.
Worst #7 NFL Draft Picks Since 1980
3. Todd Blackledge, QB, Kansas City Chiefs, 1983 (29 starts, 29 TD, 38 Int, drafted ahead of Jim Kelly and Dan Marino)
2. Brian Jozwiak, OT, Kansas City Chiefs, 1986 (3 career starts)
1. Andre Ware, QB, Detroit Lions, 1990 (6 career starts, 1,112 yds, 5 TD, 8 Int)
The Chiefs are fortunate they have not picked 7th in the last 27 years.